Existing Member?

The courage zone is my playground

Documentary Scholarship 2011 entry

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 16 June 2011 | Views [1171] | Scholarship Entry

I met Dorah through a friend of mine who does regular community work in Ikageng, a township outside of the city of Potchefstroom. Her story of how she decided to focus on improving her community instead of self-pitying herself despite serious symptoms of HIV/Aids at the time is heartwarming. She used part of her disability grant to start out the school as well as broke down her old settlement to be able to build a building. Her steadfast commitment to her cause and everyday lifestyle of hopefulness amid such dreary living conditions is something of what I hoped to capture in this documentary.

I am currently a student at the North-West University in Potchefstroom, North West, South Africa, studying for a degree in communication. Videography has been a passion for a long time, but this is my first documentary video.

I am not yet sure what my niche area is as a videographer, but am willing and keen to explore documentary film making and I certainly harbor a sense of adventure when it comes to travelling and capturing events of a trip. I will therefore greatly benefit from the travel documentary scholarship as a means to broaden my experience, knowledge as well as professional career in terms of interaction with the people I will meet.

Tags: #2011video, travel documentary scholarship 2011

About danie


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.